Monday, February 17, 2014

Chocolate Chip Strawberry Cookies

Chocolate Chip Strawberry Cookies
A regular 'ole chocolate chip cookie all dressed up for a springtime event, strawberries bring a lovely and unexpected sweetness to each and every bite.

1 cube butter, softened (we use Earth Balance Butter Alternative)
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated or vanilla sugar

1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup spelt flour (may use all all-purpose if desired)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup chopped chocolate
3/4 to 1 cup chopped strawberries


Preheat oven to 350ºF and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.  Set aside.

In a small bowl whisk together the flour, spelt flour, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.

Place the softened butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and add the sugars.  Mix until combined, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.  Add the eggs one at a time and then the vanilla extract, mixing until combined.

Add the dry ingredients to the bowl of the stand mixer and mix until barely combined.  Add the chopped chocolate and strawberries mixing again until just incorporated.

Place rounded tablespoonfuls of dough onto the prepare cookie sheets and bake until cookies are lightly browned, 12-14 minutes.  Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool.  Enjoy!

Liv Life Note:  While I know eating cookie dough with raw eggs can be dangerous, I must say that I took the risk and tried this dough... might I just say that this was one of the best cookie doughs I've ever had!  **Please note that eating dough containing raw eggs poses a risk of Salmonella