Chocolate Dipped Almond Butter Bites
The perfect size for just a bite or two, I find these chocolate dipped beauties to be best chilled, right out of the fridge.
I
made my own almond butter for the recipe (Blendtec Twister jar and
Trader Joe's 50% salt almonds - blended for about 90 seconds) and
haven't tried these with store bought almond butter which tends to
separate and be a bit more oily. Cooking Light makes their original
recipe with reduced fat peanut butter, a firm, not very oily butter.
Hence, I would make sure to stir store bought almond butter well, or
even perhaps use almond butter with the oil pour off for a thicker
butter.
Adapted from Cooking Light
1 large egg white
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup almond butter (or peanut butter - CL recommends reduced fat)
1/3 cup granulated sugar (I used 1/4 cup... but I'm not a big sweet fan)
1/4 cup brown sugar
melted dark chocolate
Preheat oven to 375ยบ and line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
Place
the egg white and the salt into a medium bowl and whisk until frothy.
Add the almond butter and sugars and stir very well to combine. Set
aside and allow to sit for about 10 minutes.
Place
tablespoon sized portions onto your prepared baking sheets, and gently
flatten each cookie with the palm of your hand or the bottom of a glass
(oil the bottom lightly so they won't stick). Bake for 10 minutes, or
until lightly browned. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for a few
minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool.
When
cookies are cool, melt dark chocolate. Gently dip each cookie half way
into the chocolate and place on waxed paper or a silicone mat to set.
Carefully peel the cookies from the paper when set and enjoy. I prefer
to store these cookies in the fridge.