Sunday, May 24, 2015

Diamants - Teatime in Paris

Diamond Biscuits (Diamants)
A favorite of Jill's daughter, Lucie, Diamants are the French equivalent of shortbread, and rolled in sugar they glisten like diamonds!

While I used a scale to weigh all of my ingredients, I've listed what I think are close equivalents below... best to measure by weight if possible though
Recipe from Teatime in Paris!: A Walk Through Easy French Patisserie Recipes , Jill Colonna



Teatime in Paris, Jill Colonna
125g butter, softened (I used 1 stick of butter, 1/2 cup)
45g granulated sugar (I used about 1/4 cup)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
150g all-purpose flour (about 1 1/4 cup)

Mix the butter and sugar until light and creamy, either using a balloon whisk (that's what I did!) or in a stand mixer using the flat (or paddle) beater.  Add the vanilla extract and gradually add the flour.  Keep mixing until the batter forms into a ball.  (At this stage you could add a different flavour such as cinnamon if desired.)

Dump the dough out onto a floured surface, then roll it as round as possible into a sausage shape (log) to about 3cm (1 1/4 inches) in diameter.  Roll in cling film (love the words "cling film" in place of our boring "plastic wrap"!) and chill in the fridge for 25 min.  Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180C/360ºf fan (I used 350ºF for my conventional oven).

Once chilled, unwrap and roll the log in granulated sugar, then cut into 1cm-thick (about 3/8") discs.  Place them on a baking sheet lined with baking paper or a silicone mat and bake for about 8 minutes or until golden.

Enjoy!